Have you ever spilled something on your carpet? If yes, you would know exactly the pain of removing the stain. The situation becomes even worse when you do not attend to the stains immediately. Trust us when we say, clean the stain from your carpet as soon as possible, your life will become much easier. It is paramount to clean the stains and prevent them from penetrating inside the carpet fibres, especially with woolen carpets. For a woolen carpet, it becomes even more difficult to clean the stains. If the stain becomes dry, it will be almost impossible to remove.
When dealing with a stain on a woolen carpet, extra care must be taken. Any kind of haphazard attempt in cleaning the stain will cause great damage to the carpet. Permanent stain spots can remain on the carpet, pile distortion can occur, and even loss of colour and discolouration can take place. That is why we came up with a few tips that will help you remove stains from woolen carpets.
Here are some tips on how to remove stains from wool carpets:
- Take action immediately- Immediately attend to the stain and remove as much as possible. If the stain is in solid form, use a blunt knife to remove it. If the stain is liquid, blot up as much as you can with a paper towel by applying little pressure. If the stains or spills are large use a vacuum. Ensure you do not rub the stains, never rub or scrub the stain on woollen carpet. It will cause more damage to your carpet. Always work from outside to inside during blotting and dabbing.
- Use warm water- Most of the household stains can be treated using warm water itself. If you are about to clean the stain as soon as it occurs, then use warm water, not hot, to clean the stain. Immediately apply the warm water to the stained area and use the blotting technique. Repeat the blotting and dabbing process until the stain is removed. Then use a cloth or a towel to dry the area by pressing on it gently.
- Dry press it- Always make sure that your carpet is press dried. To do so, use a clean cloth or a clean white paper towel and remove any kind of excess moisture from the carpet. Again, do not rub, rubbing causes the carpet fibres to get disrupted and eventually leads to the damage of the carpet. It can also alter and change the texture of the carpet. That is why you should always press dry the woollen carpet.
- Stubborn stains- Even upon using the above-mentioned steps, the stain still remains on your carpet? Then make a mixture of a teaspoon of wool laundry detergent and a teaspoon of vinegar with five cups of water. Now, using a clean white cloth or sponge, clean the stain and treat it properly. Rinse it with warm water and repeat this whole process until the stain vanishes. An alternate method is if you want you can use a good quality carpet stain removal to remove stubborn stains. Make sure the stain remover is mild and safe for the carpet.
- Do not walk on the carpet- Until the carpet dries, do not walk on the carpet after treating the stains. To avoid stepping on the carpet, place a lot of white paper towels on it along with some weight to keep them in place. Let this setup be there until your carpet or the stained area dries. You can even use a hairdryer to speed up the drying process. But make sure you do not overheat the carpet while drying it with a hairdryer. And again, do not walk on it until the carpet is dry.
- Repeat the process as per necessity- Sometimes stains can reappear onto your carpets due to wicking. Wicking is the capillary action of stains in which the stains absorbed by the carpet fibres can later come up. And the stains hidden in the carpet fibres can resurface as soon as the carpet starts drying. If such a thing happens, just let the carpet dry completely and repeat the above procedure once again. You may even need to repeat this process for a number of days in order to remove the stain completely.
Need any help from us?
If you fail to get rid of the stains even after repeated practices, call us immediately. We at Peters Cleaning Services provide quick services for our customers. In case of emergencies, we will provide a quick response and reach your place.